Thursday, March 28, 2013

Mike Holmes on ET Canada Live

Yesterday, Mike made an appearance on ET Canada Live in honor of his up-and-coming 10th anniversary special. Unfortunately, if you're not Canadian, you can't watch the video. I'm not Canadian, and so therefore I cannot comment on video footage I haven't seen. For the purposes of this blog, I make it a point to only link to things I can personally view and review, so if you're curious to see the video, it's on the ET Canada website, but you have to have a Canadian ISP. Mike did post this:

http://vine.co/v/bj1ODZ1jwZD

It seems to be on a loop, which makes it really weird if you leave it running while you click to another window to do something else.

There's been a discussion happening on one of Mike's Facebook pages, I think the Holmes Makes It Right page to be exact, where people are lamenting Mike's US fans not getting to see the tenth anniversary special that will air on HGTV Canada in April. Some people have stated they think Mike is wanting to rebrand himself as a Canadian persona and pull out of the US market all together for the purposes of spending more time at home. I don't think that's the case, but if it were, that would be disheartening. I think the reason why Mike seems to be pulling out of the US is because HGTV/US is giving him the proverbial middle finger. I don't even watch HGTV/US anymore because of the non-stop boring crap they run day in and day out. And yet for some reason, they think that 57 episodes of House Hunters everyday is better than picking up Mike's new show. It doesn't make sense, and I'm sure there are details and negotiations that are not being discussed publicly that would shed light on the situation. If anybody in the know wants to share those details with me, I'll be happy to listen.

In the meantime, we, the US fans and supporters, need to put on our happy faces and celebrate Mike's accomplishment and just hope that some naughty hacker will rip the show onto YouTube long enough for people to see it before it's promptly removed by the network. It's sad when you have to resort to illegal activity to see a TV show!!! The Holmes Spot has also started a petition, which I think has gotten a lot of support in the last couple of weeks since its inception. The petition is petitioning HGTV to air Holmes Makes It Right in the US. It might be fruitless, but It's all that I can think of to do. If you're so inclined, it would be wonderful if you could add your name to the list and help spread it around.

PETITION HGTV/US TO AIR HOLMES MAKES IT RIGHT!

8 comments:

  1. I don't think Mike is contemplating pulling out of the US market. He has spent to much time & money over the years but who knows what goes on in the corporate world.

    Why would he bother to go to the Kalamazoo Home Show as well as other US venues.

    Regarding the petition you started I'm surprised that it has not reached the 100 mark yet considering that we had thousands of US members on the Fan Forum.

    I'm not sure that 100 petitions would have an impact with HGTV but I admire your efforts.

    Jundee



    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jundee that Mike is not pulling out of the US Market. Here is my question to Mike during his Oct 2012 chat plus his reply:

    Gail M: Hi Mike! I know you have Holmes Approved Homes but all your resources are in Canada. You are respected worldwide & everyone would love to clone you. Have you ever thought of Holmes Approved House Plans/Blueprints with a Holmes Approved Materials list so anyone, living anywhere, can build a Holmes Approved Home as long as they find a reputable builder? Of course you would have to have a few house styles to choose from.


    Hi Gail,

    Yes! I absolutely have and I would love to build houses all over the world--or at least North America to start.

    We are moving toward having the Holmes Approved program available in parts of the US soon. Just looking now for good builders to partner with who want to Make it Right.

    However, I believe he is going to do a few specials a year to keep his presence known & concentrate mainly on his businesses.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with a lot of what you both said. For me the issue isn't Mike or his company. I don't understand what the holdup is with HGTV. I'm tired of waiting and being thrown a bone every once in a while. I'm tired of specials that I know I'm never going to get to see even though I'm one of the biggest Holmes fans on the planet. I'm tired of complaining... I don't like to complain and criticize, I'd much rather be happy and celebrate. I love Mike and I want to cheer on anything he does. I kinda feel Mike's given up on us in the States... Just my perception, I hope I'm wrong. It feels awful.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for starting the petition. Given the current line up on US HGTV I have not watched anything on that channel in 9 months. At least Mr. Holmes is trying to 1 help people, 2 educate people, 3 change the idustry in which he works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! I agree and HGTV's current lineup leaves much to be desired.

      Delete
  4. When The Holmes Spot sent a letter to HGTV asking them about Mikes new show & gave us the link to do the same awhile ago, I've been sending them letters 2 to 4 times a week, every week. I signed the petition. I also have stopped watching HGTV until they air Mikes show. I really hope it's not true that Mike is giving up on us in the States. I'm a big fan & that would be so sad! I wish there was more we could do to put pressure HGTV!

    Sherrie L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally convinced that Mike has no intention on giving up on the US. He's invested to much time & money over the years to just walk away from it.

    He's had a lot on his plate lately with all the projectss he's involved in & being seriously ill after returning from visiting the Childrens Village he supports in South America didn't help.

    Let's hope HGTV will come to their senses. If not, Mike will find another way.

    Jundee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I said I thought Mike was giving up on the US, I was speaking out of frustration. I don't want to be responsible for putting that idea into people's heads. It's really easy to speak out of turn, and for that I'm sorry. Mike and his camp have more money and love invested in that show than I do, so it's probably just as frustrating for them to see it not airing in the States as it is for all of us.

      @Sherrie L - that's awesome, and I think if we can get many others to send even 1 letter in, it will make a big difference. I'm going to keep pushing the petition, and I'm going to keep encouraging people to send in letters until this is resolved. The least it can do is show HGTV that Mike has a loyal audience here, and it's worth their time and effort to invest in his shows.

      Delete