Monday, June 17, 2013

Happy Father's Day

Yesterday I spent Father's Day with my 100 year old Great Grandfather who's dying of cancer and fighting ferociously for every breath.

I wanted to wish every strong father out there a happy Father's Day. I'd especially like to wish Mike a happy Father's Day.

Mike reminds me a lot of this old farmer who sits in front of me in the hospital as I write...Tough as nails, strong as an ox, and a heart as pure as gold. He wasn't very educated, but he was smart and sharp as a tack. His work ethic knew no bounds, driving him to work out in the fields until he was 90 years old. He rarely took a vacation, but when he did, he often cut it short to get back to work. He didn't have to work, but he wanted to because he loved what he did. He loved being a farmer, and he was proud of what he did. He was rough around the edges, but he was also very gentle and kind to everyone who knew him. He's the strongest person I've ever known and probably will ever know.

See you all when I get back home.


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful man. You've been truly blessed. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture is so touching! Your very lucky to have had the opportunity to know so many past generations of your family. Even my own parents are gone. I don't envy what your going through now, but I very much would have loved to have known my Grandparents, Great-Grandparents & so on! My thoughts are with you & as well as my prayers.

    ReplyDelete